September 28, 2007

And now the floor...

The estate manager came up to my office to tell me the the colour we'd chosen for the floor of the porch had been discontinued. We had picked a stone shade to reflect the colours in the flagstone of the house. His suggestion was a terra cotta, but I think that is too much of a contrast to everything else and would really weigh down the porch.

I am still thinking in the stone family of colours, or something darker than the pale yellow we're using for the rest of the trim. But we also have to be cognizant that we've got 50 boys between the ages of 12 and 18 living here, so it will get a lot of use. When it's nice, the kids eat on the porch and have picnics and special parties there, so we need to use a deck enamel.
I have included some pictures of the porch that I took this morning. It looks particularly scruffy because the workers are wet-sanding it (lead-based paint) and then applying a sealer. I would love to hear your comments and suggestions, and appreciate all of the input you've offered for the Tivoli makeover!

5 comments:

  1. I would do a black - a mars black with a dash of van dyke brown. It would throw everything else into high relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house is so terrific - what a wonderful project. I think a dark brown would be striking and functional, too. To be honest, having three boys myself, just about anything shows wear - you have to pick what you like and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous building! I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no good color thoughts but what a great porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a dark rich brown too. Great project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.