As you might know, I work for an organization which is 215 years old. We have documents that I routinely handle that were written in the early 1800’s. Our collection of portraits dates back into the late 1700’s and I have a 50,000 volume library with tomes 300+ years old at my disposal. History means a lot to me, and books mean even more.
I pulled the trigger, so to speak, and cut the botanical prints out of the book. I think that knowing that the book would never be salvaged and that I was its last chance gave me the confidence to weld the Xacto knife and cut the pages.
Here’s a final version I did of this print. I cleaned up the stains, sharpened the contrast, sharpened the image a little bit and made the background a little more even. I save each iteration in a different file, so that if I go too far, I have an earlier and an original copy.
I might even go one step more on this and remove the colour from the leaves. I don’t mind the shading around the edges, but I’d de-saturate the leaves so the yellows/browns didn’t show.
Here are a few more that I liked, but which I haven’t really edited.
Thanks for your advice on what to do about these. It made my decision a lot easier.