November 2, 2008

Paperchase London

It was after 10:30 p.m. when the courier finally delivered the mailing tube that had missed the flight from London. I was relieved that it made it to my house, because it was filled with specialty papers that I'd chosen at Paperchase on Tottenham Court Road in London.
This three-story store is the flagship of Paperchase in the UK. I always head immediately to the top floor where they sell an amazing range of art paper in the UK A-2 size, which is about 16x24 inches. Their selection is better than any place I've seen, including the well-known Kate's Paperie in New York or Paper Source in Chicago.
I got a dozen sheets of paper, which cost the equivalent of about $30, and they're worth every penny or pence. My favourite of the lot is a bright red mock croc embossed paper, and then a saffron paper overprinted with gold.
As I said yesterday, I just can't wait to see what I am going to do with these papers. I think that the red will be stunning on some of the books that I make. I also bought a kit for marbleizing paper, and I can't wait to try my hand at that, too!

17 comments:

  1. i can't wait to see your marbelized papers you make! I hear it's pretty easy and fun to do. I adore anything covered in marbelized paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad u got your bags! airlines are pretty good these days - BA has always been great. can't wait for more posts and to see what you do with the papers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg...I am so glad you are back and posting photographs again! We missed you. ♥Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with that red croco paper. I must see these for myself during my holiday trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures were worth waiting for. And we are all jealous of those gorgeous papers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful papers make my heart beat faster! These are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red paper is Gorgeous! And the last one with the gold! I hope you had a perfect time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to that exact same Paperchase! Love that store-I was thrilled when Borders started carrying their products.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at a shop in rural Orchcha, INDIA where all the paper products sold are made by the local women using recyled cotton fiber. It was gorgeous stuff and super-cheap in comparison to what we pay here in the west after importation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I see what you've been talking about Meg! Just wonderful. The red croc. Imagine lining an envelope with that :)

    Loved all the UK posts too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Ordning & Reda still around, at least in Selfridges?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gunnarsmom... Can you believe I didn't even get to Oxford Street this trip? I did go to Liberty, but went straigt to Paperchase, which is on Tottenham Court Road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post has been on my mind. I had seen the croc embossed in turquoise and loved it and have been thinking ever since about what might be done with it. I've decided to use it on the frames of my Target bulletin/cork boards and finally get them on the walls of my office.

    I've so loved reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.