September 10, 2008

The London Antiques Guide

In preparation for my trip next month, I've been looking through some of the books I have about London. One of the books I bought when I first moved to the UK and was working in London was The London Antiques Guide, which is one of the books I've featured on my sidebar.
I used to get up bright and early and go to the antique markets before work, as I didn't have to be there until about 9:30 a.m. Portobello Road is perhaps the best-known of the markets, but there are others including Spitalfields, Bermondsey, Covent Garden, Greenwich and St. James's.
From the London Antiques Guide's website, it looks like they might have different versions for the American and British markets. I have the UK version. The book is divided, street-by-street and style-by-style and also includes auction houses and antiques fairs and markets. One of the big fairs I liked was the one at Alexandra Palace, also known as Ally Pally. It's held several times a year, but not when I will be there.

With the exchange rate so bad for Americans going to London, I will mostly be looking. Even though I still have a UK bank account. I don't want to deplete it!

12 comments:

  1. Regarding the exchange rate, your timing is good. The dollar has really strengthened against sterling over the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have a mighty good time there, irregardless of the exchange rate. And goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I were going too! I love that London poster. The greens are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been scared to buy anything in Europe, how do you get your purchases home if they won't fit into your suitcase? Isn't shipping very expensive? How do you go about doing it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir Fop... better than it was, but still not as good as it used to be! But I am thankful for the downward change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be... I had really good luck mailing things home when I moved back, including a chandelier. I just used Royal Mail and had no problems. They don't send anything "surface" mail these days, but put it on planes as space allows, so it might be a couple of weeks. It worked out brilliantly.

    For HUGE things, I know my brother-in-law uses a firm called Hedley's Humpers, which a lot of the major auction houses use. They specialize in fine arts and antiques. Gotta love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lucky - I love London!! Wonderful greens!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recommend you add Alfies and Church Street to your list.

    Portobello Road is the best known antiques market, and there are certainly some dealers with unusual things, but I'm not a huge fan. It's too crowded, too touristy and the prices tend to reflect that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good suggestions, Sir Fop... I do love Alfie's. There's always something fun around each and every corner. I also remember a great little Irish antiques store along the same road.

    Portobello Road is a good laugh and I am meeting someone there, so that makes it a "must do".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once bought some wonderful odd vests from the 50's (?) at Portobello. They cost next to nothing and still get a lot of use today. Who knows what you may find? Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother-in-law told me a good trick... I need to get some spoons for a silver service I have and so he said to xerox the knives and forks, so i will know exactly what size and pattern i need. Clever, that man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite city in the world. You are one lucky duck! Have fun! And go for fish and chips at The Rock and Sole Place for me. It's near Covent Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.