September 9, 2008

Cocktails on the Porch

This evening, despite the threat of rain, we had cocktails on the porch at work for our board of directors and some generous donors. The chairman of the board commented to me on how much he liked the blue ceiling, which you can just barely see below. I wanted to make the evening festive, but not spend a lot of our donors' money (we want as much of their gift as possible to help the kids we care for), so I went to Target. They have a line of paper goods by designer Isabelle de Borchgrave and I found some in great Mediterranean colours, which would look great with the stone walls of the house. I was very impressed with the quality of these simple items, the most expensive of which was no more than $6.00. I also bought some beautiful sunflowers, which worked brilliantly with the paper goods. All in all, a very good evening and hopefully, we'll get some nice donations!

13 comments:

  1. Meg -- the porch seems like such a lovely, relaxing spot. Everyone likes that blue ceiling. I think Isabelle has a new book coming out BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the Isabelle tablecloth. I didn't see that one at my Target over the weekend. So perfect for this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the items I used might have been from Isabelle's summer line, since I got all of what was left.

    Peak... did you look at the John Derian line at Target?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful porch -- the perfect place for cocktails. The sunflowers are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Target! Tesco's and Asda just aren't the same.

    What a lovely setting for cocktails :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I just found your blog and love it! I'll be sure to check it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Southern houses have painted porch ceilings that are blue, but it's more of a turquoise. It's called haint blue and it's meant to ward off evil spirits. It's a tradition brought to the South by African-Americans (along with the bottle tree, which is also great).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right on about blue porch ceilings. In New Mexico they paint window and door trims blue (a deeper vibrant cobalt) for the same reason. Also some folks think that birds and bugs stay away from the blue on porch ceilings. Why? Dunno. Especially when I just cleaned a wasp's nest off my blue porch ceiling ha ha ha.
    BTW, what's your favorite cocktail?

    ReplyDelete
  9. EE... The paint shows a lot paler than it actually is. In an earlier post, I gave the hex and pantone colours for the blue we used. I think it's got some green to make it more turquoise, but a pale shade of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. VV... the everyday drink is Mt. Gay rum and tonic and lime. But I got in the habit of drinking champagne when I was living in the UK. It's one of my better habits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Target, they always have something great going on in their paper goods department.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.