June 21, 2007

Robsjohn-Gibbings Redux

A few months ago, I posted about T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings and his delightful book. I was reading 1st Dibs today and they had him featured as their Spotlight Designer. Take some time to look at 1st Dibs, it's a wealth of information. As they mention, it's not only important to look at today's myriad design names, but to also look at past design stars. Mr. R-G was inspired by designs from the past, often using classical Greek and Roman furniture for a contemporary look.

While we look to the future for new opportunities, we should also look into the past for inspirations.

6 comments:

  1. So true, and well said! Albert Hadley said something one time about how important it is to study design history b/c it allows you to understand the purpose of objects and styles (or something to that effect).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much is truly new, anyway, and not just a reinvention of what has been previously done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! T.H.Robsjohn-Gibbings has been on my ebay radar lately. I keep seeing things I just love in an article only to discover it is by him!

    P.S. I love your blog and am adding to my links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever seen a copy of "Goodbye Mr Chippendale" pub.1936 by T.H.Robsjohn-Gibbings? Fantastic little tome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also saw the profile of Mr RG on 1st Dibs (one of my fav websites). He was an incredible designer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.