June 1, 2007

Damien Hirst

I am not a huge fan of Damien Hirst's work, usually consisting of something like a pig, a cow or a shark preserved intact in formaldahydeas well as other shockers. Things like that make me a bit queasy.

I was listening to the BBC PM news and they were talking about a new exhibit at the White Cube Gallery in London entitled "For the Love of God". The centerpiece is a skull from the 1800's. More than 8600 ethnically-sourced diamonds cover the skull, which is encased in platinum. The only original part of the skull which is still showing is its teeth.

I do like this piece, entitled "LSD" a bit more than most of Hirst's others... What do you think about him?

5 comments:

  1. That is strangely beautiful. It reminds me of the turquoise-encrusted skull in the British Museum, mae by an Aztec artisan. Of course, that came some 400 years before this piece. Without diamonds, too. Or platinum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. snack...that was his inspiration. i should have said that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, look what I just found on the internet: political blogger Andrew Sullivan linked to the same jewel-encrusted skull!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it has certainly caused a media frenzy! I'm not a fan of his either, but I do like the "LSD" piece somewhat. Forgive my ignorance, but didn't he also help design that London restaurant Pharmacy that was big in the 90s? If so, that was rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ack, so sorry about your Dad. Yes, I remember now:-(

    Hugs from Marrakesh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.