March 19, 2015

RIP Treillage

I had heard through the grapevine a few weeks ago that Bunny Williams’ and John Rosselli’s beautiful New York shop, Treillage was to close, but I was asked not to say anything until it was publically announced. And it was, yesterday, to much sadness.image The shop was located in an old blacksmith’s space on the Upper East Side of New York City, along a street that is semi-residential, and not well trafficked, unlike the avenues. Regardless, the things that Bunny and John have collected for the shop are always exquisite and unique, just like the space they inhabit.image

The stock in the store was a mixture of garden-related items, furnishings and furniture, and artworks. image

Garden statuary sat side-by-side architectural elements. image

Art pieces, like this stunning cabbage tureen evidenced Bunny’s whimsical taste. image

Although the shop was rustic, there was plenty of refinement like this little French settee. image

Treillage will be closing up in June, but its on-line presence, Treillage NY, will remain. image

Many thanks to Bunny Williams and John Rosselli, and the staff at Treillage for making this shop a must-visit in NYC for me and so many others.

13 comments:

  1. Why is it closing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not enough traffic at the location.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad, but can understand you need a lot of traffic to balance the overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there going to be a sale, or is everything to be online. I adore their style so much! Sorry to hear this! Have a great weekend Meg!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    A New Gallery in Town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What???? That's my favorite shop in all of NYC! Found some wonderful pots, pillows and architectural pieces there over the years. This is shocking. I hope they open a new shop elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is sad + glad I got to visit their shop. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame. Their vignettes are a master class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hoped to get their one day, so Ive got til June! Love their shop and aesthetic! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my all-time favorite shops. Of course it never had any just walk-in traffic; it was a destination store, drawing on reputation. But John R. already had the lease on the space, using it for his own to-the-trade business when they decided to open Treillage in 1991. With the immediate success, they expanded to the space (which had a basement and receiving area) to the east soon after. It's harder to make a profit by buying antiques abroad, shipping them back, and selling them at retail these days, keeping an inventory and maintaining real estate. On-line shopping has changed that; it's convenient but not as inspirational. The shop will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could live in a shop like that. It looks like the inside of my head. It's too bad they can't afford the location, because shipping alone on most of the stuff they sell will put people (who are not one-percenters) off buying it online... all that heavy stone/ceramic ware!

    P.S. Meg - sheerly because of architecture and design, of course - I have to ask if you've seen that ABC series "Revenge". If not, you should check it out - I would LOVE to see you post about the locations and decor! It's my total guilty pleasure - I'm watching it on Netflix every chance I get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been so smitten by a shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.