December 28, 2008

James Lees-Milne's Buildings

The last few weeks at the Book Thing have been rather sparse, with some of the shelves being completely empty.
I had a busy weekend, but did manage to stop by Book Thing to drop off a big bag of books. The decorating section was filled to the brim with old copies of Architectural Digest, dating back a dozen or more years.

I headed around to the travel section, looking in vain for some small volume on Wales. But among the decade-old copies of Lonely Planet, I found James Lees-Milne's National Trust Guide book, Buildings. At the point that this book was written in 1948, the National Trust had only acquired 100 buildings, compared to 300+ today. Interestingly enough, there were only three listed buildings in London, including No. 3 Cheyne Walk in one of my favourite sections of that city.

The foreward to the book is written by Lord Esher, and the illustrations are by S.R. Badmin. There are little notes for each of the houses, including opening times and admissions listed in shillings and pence. One house mentions that "the key may be obtained next door from Miss J. Jupe".

Mr. Lees-Milne is the husband of Avilde Lees-Milne, who wrote The Englishwoman's House, which I wrote about here. I am looking forward to reading this book and comparing the 1940's era line drawings and notes to current day websites.

13 comments:

  1. What a fun find and those illustrations are lovely looking. They are a lot less dated looking than 1940s color photos would be. And what an interesting read; I just love the idea of popping next door to get the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you found yet another treasure at the Book Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here from An Aesthete's Lament's blogroll - intrigued by your blog's title. And how wonderful! I spent a little bit of time in Baltimore in the 1980s, and loved the city. It's nice to look around your blog. I love your interest in antiques and decor - but it was your photo of John Waters that made me laugh. I adore John - was thrilled when I got to meet him backstage after a performance of "A John Waters Christmas" here in LA a couple years ago.

    I'll keep visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find the most wonderful things. I need to make time in 2009 for more hunting and gathering of treasures like this !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the fascinating Alvilde Bridges ... first the wife of 3rd Viscount Chaplin ... then the lover of Princess Winnaretta de Polignac ... then the lover of Vita Sackville-West ... then wife of JL-M ... what a curious couple ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. AL... what about HIS lovers? Many and varied, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read some of JLM's diaries this winter - delightful company n'est ce pas?
    KDM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read " Running for the Hills"? While it was first published in 2006 it has been my favorite book of 2008..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, but Pigtown, her lovers were much, much more interesting folks! However, I read JL-M's diaries religiously; they are such good reading, especially the one about his National Trust years. And his last lover, Michael Bloch, edited abridged versions of his last diaries and runs the official Lees-Milne website. Bloch also has written a Lees-Milne biography that will be published in September 2009. Am pretty sure that's the same Michael Bloch who edited the love letters of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the very best thing that Lees-Milne did is to leave the royalties and publication rights from his books to the National Trust.

    I think that my brother-in-law on the Shore got all of my father's copies of Lees-Milne's books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then it is up to you to secret them out of the Shore, one volume at a time, in your handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AL... you've seen pix of the library! I'd never find them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.