November 30, 2015

Weekend Update with Highs and Lows!

The past few days have been very busy with the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, which was spent with family, and also babysitting the Big Brown Dog, Halas. He still comes to the house and looks around for Connor and can’t seem to understand why he can’t find him. Having Hal for an overnight stay isn’t the same as having a full-time dog, so when my friend Jonathan called on Wednesday afternoon to tell me he’d found a great dog at the local SPCA where he serves on the Board, I headed over there.

The lab was too big and looked as strong as a tank, so as we wandered around the kennel I saw a little dog and just fell in love. We  had a chance to walk around with him at the SPCA and while he was excited by being outside and the other dogs, he seemed pretty relaxed. And once you picked him up, he just melted in your arms. IMG_6930So I filled out the application, had the interview and made plans to pick him up on Friday morning. After some searching for a name that fit him, I decided on Rhory, using the Welsh spelling. I picked him up on Friday morning, so excited to have a dog again, and when I got him home, much to my horror, he turned into the Devil Dog!

Rhory never stopped jumping and biting me. Even after several long walks, running around the back yard and numerous games of tug, he didn’t settle down, except to completely eviscerate a stuffed hedgehog.IMG_6938

He hated the crate and was frantic to get out, which made us both unhappy. Compounding everything, I realized that either he wasn’t completely housebroken, or that I couldn’t read his signals to go outside. While I realized that some intensive training would probably help him stop the jumping and biting, my schedule was such that it wouldn’t be able to happen for a week or more, and that he’d have to have one-on-one training because he hadn’t had all of his shots yet, which also meant no doggy-daycare.

By Saturday morning, I was miserable. Rhory bit me at every chance and wouldn’t stop jumping on me, so my legs were covered with scratches and bruises. I realized that when I went out for a few hours to do some errands, I was dreading going home. IMG_6933

I felt like all I said to him was NO! Things came to a head when he bit me hard enough to break the skin. After a lot of hard thinking, I realized that the only thing I could do was take him back to the SPCA where they could find someone more suited to his personality. Funnily, as we arrived and were walking in, one of the workers recognized him and was surprised at how “bouncy” he was! I was crushed to return him, but knew in my heart that I wasn’t the right person for him, nor he for me. But doing it quickly before we bonded was the best thing.

Scarily, he’d just had his shots a few days ago, so the SPCA was obligated to give me a pamphlet on RABIES! I know that with some attention and lots of training, he will be a great dog for someone, but not me.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In the time-honoured tradition of healing a broken heart, I did what any gal would do… I went shopping! I wanted to visit some friends’ shops in support of Small Business Saturday. First, I headed to LaContessa to see what fabulous things they had and to check out the creative décor at the shop.
IMG_6957 IMG_6958
IMG_6965 IMG_6961

From there, we headed up to Halcyon House Antiques, where the shop is ready for the holidays! Halcyon is known for their stunning mantelpieces!IMG_6868

IMG_6854And for their sumptuous displays!IMG_6671IMG_6690

Halcyon House always has the most beautiful selection of ornaments. IMG_6852IMG_6865This year they also have some stunningly gorgeous snow-globes. IMG_6853IMG_6856

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

To cheer myself on Sunday after returning all the things I bought for Rhory to Petsmart, I visited friends who are prepping for the holidays by doing a spot of decorating! This includes my buddy, Andrea who hosts a fundraiser for the SPCA each year. She’s the queen of decorating and her house is always over-the-top FABULOUS! Here is just a peek at what’s in store for the party!IMG_6979

Later I stopped for drinks at other friends, who were right in the middle of decorating their over-the-top tree! We were a little worried, but David managed not to fall on the tree!IMG_6984

I just adored these ornaments from the late Smith & Hawkin, which used to have the very best ornaments. These were tiny Faberge-style eggs that came in a tiny egg carton. IMG_6983

As I headed out, I had a chance to admire their apple trees, which, while still small, had a harvest of more than 100 apples this year, and which still have their leaves as we head into December!IMG_6987

I hope that your weekend was great. What did you do?

25 comments:

  1. Sorry about the briefly named Rhory; (my nephew's name is spelt Ruaridh, apropos nothing really). Only you know whether it's going to work out with a dog, and I'm sure you have great (good) experience, so better to be safe than sorry. The brief interlude with him might remind you of the ties that bind, although I'm sure the flip side of the arrangement is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you pronounce your nephew's name? Same as Rhory? I was going to call him Rhidian, but someone confused it with Ritalin... which he might have benefited from!

      Delete
  2. Oh, such a shame Meg, but you did the right thing for you both. He obviously needs someone who is going to be there with him 24/7. The right match will happen. A little retail therapy is a great healer of broken hearts :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wish I was retail therapying with you at the auction rooms!

      Delete
  3. YOUR dog is out there, Meg, keep heart. You did the right thing with the Rhory beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a small dog, who belonged to someone going into a home or retirement might suit me.

      Delete
  4. Man oh man I want a tree so tall I will throw caution to the wind Even though the ladder clearly states this is not a step. There are taller ladders on the market. Your friend should weigh the cost benefits talller ladder tall trees easier to decorate vs broken ankle, back ,neck ornaments, window etc. This is not the first time I remove the gloves when I see someone engaged in an activity that is seriously dangerous, it probably is not the last time either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started the process of decorating too - although we both caught light colds which sort of put a damper on things :-( Gonna be a busy week catching up in time for our party on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear the new adoption didn't work out. Don't give up hope. I know it was probably a little heartbreaking. I have a post it note on my computer that says..."They say that a way to honor a dog that you have loved and lost, is to save another." There will be others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still looking. Sad that Rhory didn't work. He was adorable.

      Delete
  7. You're not alone. My son and daughter in law just had to return a cat. They specifically wanted a cuddler and got one with (undisclosed until the return) "feral tendencies." I don't blame the shelter for giving the cat a chance since she'd been there awhile. I also don't blame my kids for returning the wrong-for-them cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Rhory was so intimidated by the shelter that he just cowered in his cage. It was like night and day.

      Delete
  8. Love the retail therapy. Pretty irresistible stuff. I especially enjoyed the photo of Andrea's vintage bottle trees with mercury ornaments. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia... stay tuned for the full show. the party is Christmas week!

      Delete
  9. It must have been hard to return him but there is the right dog out there for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I only had him for about 24 hours, it was gut-wrenching. i felt like i was letting him down.

      Delete
  10. You totally did the right thing.....it will be OK....when you find the dog you are meant to have you will be very glad that Rhory's journey took him elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just can't keep a dog who bites you all the time. Your dog will come. And I'm glad you've got friends with good light and sparkle to cheer you in the interim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was told that when a dog is returned for biting, SPCA's put them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That makes me feel much better about what I did! NOT!!!

      When I discussed this with the SPCA, they said that since he's so young and is a stray, they will do everything they can not to have this as the final outcome. They think that with some training, he will be a good companion to someone.

      Delete
  13. Oh Dear Meg, I am so sorry, they WILL find a home that is better suited for him and you will find a dog that is better for your needs as well. I am sure it was very hard to do.

    PS while you are shopping let me know if I can help you with anything from India Hicks!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Books for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.