November 22, 2015

Auction Adventures

You might have noticed that I love going to auctions. The one I used to love to attend has gone from a Saturday morning live auction to an on-line one that seems to drag on forever. Even if it’s not a high stakes auction, there’s nothing like the electricity of a live auction. With that in mind, pal David and I headed up to Pennsylvania over the weekend for my favourite type of auction – a box lot auction!image

Box lot auctions are exactly what they sound like. They are usually the result of house-clearings, when items are piled into boxes and hauled to the auction house. Sometimes each box is auctioned individually, and other times, a few boxes are auctioned, and the high bidder gets to choose which box they want. The auctioneer may say that you can choose two or more for the same money, meaning if you bid $100 for one box, you can choose any or all boxes for the same money. The downside of this is that you don’t know if the people you’re bidding against want the same box as you do. But if bidding starts at a dollar, you don’t have too much to lose. IMG_6776

There’s an opportunity to look through the boxes before you bid, and sometimes you might only want one thing in the box. There’s a fair amount of horse-trading that happens after the bidding’s done. The adage that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure certainly holds true here. The bidding at these auctions is fast and furious, and you really have to pay attention to make sure you get the boxes you want. The auctioneer just jabbers away in his auction patois, and people are calling out the whole time and lot numbers are shouted, so there’s a lot of commotion.

IMG_6777

The auction we went to is in the middle of nowhere. We thought we might have taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in deepest Appalachia, but we finally found the spot (and I am not telling where it is!). IMG_6756We did look a bit out of place, me with my cashmere and cords and David with his artist’s aesthetic. I managed not to wear the leopard-print tassel loafers, and smartly put on some thick soled shoes, because these auctions can be cold!

We had a very successful auction and both got the things we were bidding on. I found the most gorgeous hand-made quilt in the Lone Star pattern. It’s stunning and incredibly well made.IMG_6833

What is so interesting about this is how it changes the closer you look!IMG_6835IMG_6836IMG_6837

As I said, when you buy a box lot, you take whatever’s in the box, and in with the quilts were a bunch of old wool US Navy sailor uniforms, complete with middy tops and bell-bottom trousers, with the sailor buttons and lace-up backs.IMG_6793IMG_6795IMG_6797IMG_6802

I also got a HUGE lot of my favourite Blue Willow china. I know it doesn’t look like much china, but there are about 12 of each plate. IMG_6822Here are the marks on the bottoms:
IMG_6824 IMG_6826
  

I also got these gorgeous cups and saucers, which are similar to a set I bought at an auction about a year ago. IMG_6819

There was one lot I forgot to bid on – I think I got distracted by an elderly woman with a lurid red MOHAWK! It was sort of a gentleman’s box, complete with instruction books, IMG_6758

and a straw boater with this label inside. I kept trying to decide whether the book was about South Americans, or Americans from the Southern USA. But with the reference to Latin ways, I think it’s South America. Published in MCMLI or 1951.

IMG_6759

And now for what David got! In the telling, it doesn’t sound like much, but it’s actually pretty fabulous. It’s four grape sconces. The grapes and grape leaves are all glass, probably Italian, from Murano, an island off of Venice known for its glassblowing factories. In addition to the grapes and leaves, there are metal stems with tendrils. IMG_1699

Because David is such a genius, he can figure out how this whole thing goes back together. You can see on this one, that there’s a light bulb inside, but the plugs on it were horribly outdated and certainly not up to code. These pieces each weighed about five lbs.IMG_0463

After consulting Mr. Google, we came up with this, which is similar.

image

All in all, it was a fun evening and I am sure that we will do it again in the not-too-distant future!

13 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff, Meg! I miss the boot sales in London. The last time I got some goodies was in Cape Town, 8 year ago. You friend David got the a great deal! I just found these with an estimate price between $1000-$2000/pair. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/39319062_pair-of-italian-murano-glass-grape-vine-sconces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to dinner after the auction (when we were back in civilization) and googled the lamps. I don't think we saw this one! Thanks. Even the starting bid is significantly more than David paid.

      Delete
  2. Nice finds. My gosh, I wore navy surplus bells all through college. They were extremely comfortable and very warm for walking across campus in the winter. I've often wished that I had kept them. Also enlisted sailors looked so good in those uniforms, almost better than the officers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily, the lighter weight wool top is the only one that is lined. They weigh a ton!

      Delete
  3. Those uniforms would make for great halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching that "Uptown Funk" mash-up with all of the old movies and these uniforms appear a few times.

      Delete
  4. Hi Meg, I also love box lots and bulk lots--some of my greatest bargains have been found there, as people are either unwilling to go through them thoroughly, and they discount the possibility of anything really good being put in a box lot. We know of one country auction where the happy custom is for people to buy box lots, take out what they bought it for, then put the rest in a trash area for others to go through and just take what they want for free.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in an area where people sell their accumulation of stuff before they move to Florida. Rats! I live in Florida where there is never great stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO WAY! Everyone in Florida takes their best stuff along with them, and when they die, it all goes into thrift shops!

      Delete
  6. Oh, then there is hope. I shall dust off my phone book and check out the thrift shops or read the Estate sale ads. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What maker appears on the bottoms of the small cups and saucers? Are they demitasse or larger?

    Just curious -
    Suzanne on St.Simons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mayfair Bone China Made in England" They're teacup size.

      Delete
  8. I guess it's unlikely I will ever make it to an auction with you, but, maybe some day the Alameda Fair. So wonderful, how much you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.