February 24, 2015

Think Pink!

In the 1957 movie, Funny Face, there’s a great musical number called Think Pink. The character, played by the brilliant Kay Thompson, is supposedly based on Diana Vreeland, and proclaims that pink is the new colour of the season.

Suddenly, for some reason, I’ve become enchanted with the palest shade of pink. It may have been inspired by a beautiful Valentine’s bouquet with a pale pink David Austen rose in the middle of it, or that it is such a flattering shade for most people. roses (2)My bedroom is painted in Martha Stewart’s Magnolia, which is no longer made. It’s got red, a drop of yellow and a drop of black, so it avoids being a sickly bubblegum shade.

It is the pale, pale ballet pink that I am thinking of. image

When I saw this image, I thought it would be fun to go back and buy the huge linen tablecloth and make it into a sheet and then dye it the palest of pinks. Hopefully, it will be drastically reduced when I go back!image

As one does these days, I started a Pinterest page called “Think Pink, Think Pink” after the song. How about this? It could stray over the line to orchid, but if it faded enough, it would be perfect.image

One of my favourite summertime coolers is pink grapefruit sorbet from Wegmans. Since I only go to the “local” Wegmans once or twice a year, I stock up on it. It’s actually not even this pink!image

This might be too much pink, but the wall colour is just right. image

I love pale pink flowers! Halcyon 5-31 (6)

peonies (2)

What’s your thought on pale pink? Yea or nay?

16 comments:

  1. I love pink like a Kardashian loves a sketchy endorsement deal. Luckily, I had a girl to channel that craziness through. She shares my adoration of the hue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After eschewing pink as just too cloyingly girlish in my younger years, I have come to love it and like you, Meg, am a huge fan of the palest of pale shades. It is a comforting, attractive color and goes with so many other shades. My bedroom is painted a very pale pink with mirrored furniture and I use matching shade sheers at the windows in the summer and switch them out for hot pink velvet curtains in the winter. It's truly my dream bedroom and am thinking of doing other rooms in somewhat the same mode. Adore pale pink with grey! Thanks for promoting this lovely color and also for the mention of Kay Thompson ... she was one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds gorgeous! I am keeping the pale pink, but putting the bird wallpaper along one wall behind my bed. The drop on the paper is so big that I think that three rolls will get the job done, but not much more.

      Delete
  3. I love that film, I'm stuck at home just now, oh I wish I could watch it.
    I've also become drawn to pink which is a colour I normally loathe, I just want to surround myself with it just now, I think it's a nurturing thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTube. I am pretty sure the whole movie is on there.

      Delete
  4. Honestly, I was under the impression that a paint store, any paint store with a machine that scans a color sample could easily replicate the color in that company's paint base. Meg to think that you can no longer enjoy a shade of color that brings you a great deal of comfort is simply not true!! Your friendly local paint store staff can match the color- match the color in their product line. Now why would Martha Stewart set us up for disappointment? I suppose her contract with the company ran out and that company could no longer sell her line. But you have the power to have the color matched --if you bring the old can of paint or have a swatch to use to match-- your life has a new vista to enjoy. I hope your readers understand that a color can be matched be it a pillow or a favorite paint color thought "unavailable. " Meg I hope you have a textile to dye for!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little hard to take a chunk of wall along with me to match it!

      Delete
    2. Did you paint over the room overhead light switch plates?

      Delete
  5. I'm recovering from an illness and that pink post cheered me up so much. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love pink and yellow flowers - oddly enough I don't like those colors on hardly anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, in color psychology, pink suggests passion and certain shades or tints can even make your blood pressure rise! I think we are all tired of the little-girl-bedroom-Pepto-Bismol pink. However, I love pink--pale with yellow and blue in the same intensity--with brown for sophistication--and as a surprise with grey, black, and white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE pink, of the pale sort. In fashion, blush has been all the rage for a while now, and I like it there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg! my wee bedroom is painted 'shell pink' that's so pale it's hardly noticeable except in the morning sun which makes it glow - just what I was after! Thanks for the delightful clip from "funny face"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.