July 12, 2016

Portobello: A Pigtown Pop-Up

One of my favourite things to do in the UK is to poke around small antique sales, places like Portobello Road and Spitalfields Market, and of course, car-boot sales. In the spirit of Portobello Road, I am having a pop-up sale in September, hosted by my great friends at Halcyon House Antiques.Portobello Logo

As you know if you’ve been reading Pigtown*Design for any length of time, I have a broad love for English antiques. My Etsy shop always features beautiful English silver, incuding teapots, pitchers, serving pieces,image and of course, mother-of-pearl handled silverware. imageIn addition, I’ve assembled a great collection of individual English transfer-ware both in blue and white and polychrome, perfect for expanding your collectionsimage

Everything in this sale is something that I’ve found in my travels, and have personally selected as something I’d like to have in my own house (and in many cases, I do have duplicates).

One of the things I like to do is use pieces in ways other than their original intention. For example, this salt shaker is now a wee bud vase, image

and this egg cup is now holding some fragrant honeysuckle blossoms. image

Please stay tuned for more details as we move closer to the date. And if there’s anything in particular that you’re looking for, do let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I too enjoy finding novel and new uses for antique items, much as you've shown in your last two photographs. I call this "relics reimagined", and I've written a few posts about it on my blog.

    All the best for your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! Hope I'm in town when you have it - I'll ask to Anne to come with me if she's available. Hope your summer is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are around too! About the third week, running for about 10 days.

      Delete
  3. I love all of your things! I stayed at an Airbnb apartment right on Carnaby street this May, owned by Cassie Beadle, an art gallery owner, and, along with the art and books, there were great examples of English pottery used throughout as storage/vases, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.