December 6, 2017

Picking A Wreath

For many years, I made my wreaths by hand, picking magnolia and boxwood branches and trying to fashion them into an amazing artistic expression. Mostly, it went okay, but with much sweating and swearing. My ambitions and aspirations are great, but my talent is limited.

I think that this was a cheapie wreath from Ikea with a ton of boxwood tucked in behind it.image

My friend, Andrea, is a master of wreath-making!image

I bought a bunch of pheasant feathers last year, and think they make a great addition to a wreath.image

I did this one year. I collected tons and tons of vintage ornaments and glue-gunned them to a wreath form. Hung it on my front door.
Then it rained, all the glue dissolved and the ornaments fell off. I was broken-hearted.image

I really love magnolia leaf wreaths, but I might embellish this a little more.image

Like this one with some gilded leaves and a few tiny lights.image

In a fit of insanity one year, I made this cranberry wreath. It was gorgeous but I don’t know if the glue-gun burns were worth the effort.image

It’s always fun to collect pinecones on a fall walk in the woods. image

Last year, I bought Williams-Sonoma’s jingle bell wreath. This year, I think I will re-visit it with some sprigs of boxwood surrounding it.image

9 comments:

  1. I love all of your wreathes! Especially the vintage ornaments and the bells. I am sure that whatever you have this year will be beautiful! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wreath with the pheasant feathers! I made a rose hip wreath earlier this fall. Very minimal, but very cool. I'm going to make another one with all the mossy branches and pine cones I've foraged, plus some greens and some rose hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them for a hat, and had to get about 50 of them, so I am glad to find a use for them!

      Delete
  3. They are all very pretty. It surprises me that hot glue dissolved in the rain. I thought it was plastic. You must have been horrified to find your ornaments everywhere. Love the magnolia wreath with gold and lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was actually the coating of the bulbs that dissolved.

      Delete
  4. Trader Joes gets lovely Boxwood wreaths in, and if you're fast you can get one for like $6 but they sell out FAST. This year I got a 'swag' instead of a wreath. Didn't want anything on our new front door!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually get it from friends - that way I can get a ton of it. xx

      Delete
  5. I suggest if your readers frequent tag sales and find vintage Christmas ornaments, if the price is right or they have a few left over from their wreath making we should package them up very well and send them off to you (Meg) in an effort to replace your broken wreath. I am convinced floral
    wire though tedious is the method to secure a precious item to a wreath. Yes, indeed those images are awesome. Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukkah.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.