December 13, 2017

Holiday Decorating

Traditionally, I don’t do too much decorating at my house, mainly because I am almost never home, and the dog really doesn’t appreciate my hard work. I put up a few flameless candles which actually look pretty good and won’t burn down my house. I burn my favourite Thymes Frasier Fir candle which makes my house smell amazing. I also have white lights strung on my huge gardenia which is looking rather pitiful after I left it outside too long and most of the leaves turned brown.

I love looking at other people’s decorations and appreciate the work that goes into making them beautiful. I adore white fairy lights, and the new tiny bee lights and think they can look magical.

image

The holidays are a time to be totally outrageous and over-the-top with your decorating, using items like these oversized bows!image

This is a super minimalist decoration that could actually be used all winter. I might add a few shiny red balls on the mantle.image

My favourite shop in London, VV Rouleaux, has a wonderful oakleaf spray that can be used for a range of decorations. image

And here are some holiday decorating pictures from VV Rouleaux’s owner’s house in the English countryside. (article here)image

image

image

image

image

Even if you just use some glass balls and sparkly lights, you can bring the spirit of the holidays into your home.

6 comments:

  1. I love that English country simplicity and that even one simple ornament displayed tastefully can be very special. I hope that will be accomplished in the stone cottage we are buying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the Thymes Frasier Fir candles, Meg. That's one of my favorite things about this time of year -- the smell of evergreens -- and I try every year to find a candle that will smell like the trees we had when I was little. Unfortunately, I didn't remember what kind of tree we used to have, till I asked my dad. He said that my mom always bought trees that shed all their needles into the carpet, till he took charge of the tree-shopping, which is why I could never get the ornaments to hang correctly. He said that my folks eventually struck a deal: every other year, they could go out and buy the kind of tree THEY wanted; the next year, the other one got to buy our tree. And, naturally, they each had different smells. Fir trees do NOT smell like spruce trees. Thanks again. Regards, Bart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those big bows!! The minimalist mantle reminds me of my days at Smith & Hawken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the dogs and I these days but I still enjoy decorating at Christmas. It pushes back against the dour times and dark weather. Ritualistic, but I enjoy it. However I have to be careful what goes on the lower branches lest it go the way of dog toys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks as always for these tasteful decorating ideas and for the link, a head start on next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you the merriest, most peaceful Yuletide your heart could desire. If you like a real Christmas tree, try and find a Fralsam - it's a crossbreed of Fraser and Balsam - has the strong branches of the Fraser to hold up lots of ornaments without sagging, and the delicious scent of the Balsam!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.