March 23, 2017

Nevertheless…

As you might know, I designed a line of tea towels (you can find them on my Etsy page), last fall. It was a lot of fun thinking about the designs, working them out and then selling them… A lot of them!

A few months ago, I was poking around an antiques store with a friend and spotted a box of old engravings, some hand-coloured, and some not. Probably late 1800’s or early 1900’s. I love looking at these old prints and thinking about what I can do with them. I leafed through the pages until I found this adorable little girl. OberonI knew she would become something fun! She’s a tiny little thing, about 3x4 inches. But she needed a little work before she achieved greatness.

I scanned her in at high resolution, so that I could play with the dimensions and make her bigger without losing a lot of detail. I added an old print of a globe that she could stand on instead of just a simple ball, and photoshopped it so that it would look like she was standing on top of the world. Vintage-Globe

But the print still needed something. I played around with some different sayings in different fonts, but nothing struck me. I had one towel made up, but it wasn’t just quite right. Then I was listening to the news, and heard Senator Mitch McConnell chastising Senator Elizabeth Warren, and in recounting it, he said, “Nevertheless, she persisted.” I knew that’s what I needed to add to the design to make it work.

I amped up the colour a little, cleaned up a few spots on the background, added a border, and came up with this:nevertheless SMALL

Funnily, when it’s printed out on cotton/linen, the background looks like an old parchment-coloured linen fabric, complete with the small imperfections. It’s really amazing what we can do with digital printing!

The tea-towels are 50/50 cotton/linen and are printed with water-based, non-toxic inks. They are fully washable and can be thrown in the dryer, but I like to hang them on the clothesline. The towels measure about 18x24 inches. A few people I know are buying them to frame for their daughters and grand-daughters. Over this past weekend, I received more than 25 orders for this tea towel, and if you’d like to order one, click here.

16 comments:

  1. Love this. Ordered three. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ordering. Don't you think Senator Warren needs one!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should send her one. A lot more original than a t-shirt with the words on it.

      Delete
  3. Meg, you've got something here. It's fantastic. Make notecards, postcards, fridge magnets....They will sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might try doing posters or digital prints of this.

      Delete
  4. This makes me happy -- just placed my order!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! This made my day. Just ordered one. I want to hang a framed print of this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. I love the idea of making posters (and other items).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just ordered one for my mom! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ordered mine yesterday, now I am thinking of others who should really have one too......love the idea of sending one to Senator Warren. And postcards! Perfect for sending feedback to one's elected representatives, no?

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Decoupage the image on the back of a glass plate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.