June 14, 2016

Gardenia Season

On Facebook, you can see what you posted on this day in years past, and it seems that just about this time each year, I am celebrating my gardenia blooming. I have had this plant for about 20 years. It was originally a cutting from a plant that my parents have had for about 50 years. image

It has its ups and downs, mostly relating to where it is. Over the summer, I put the plant on my front porch where it gets the afternoon sun. In the winters, I bring the plant inside and place it in a south-facing window where I hope that it can absorb as much light as possible. image

A few weeks after I bring it in, usually around Thanksgiving, the plant rebels and starts throwing its leaves on the floor. But once I put it outside, usually in late April or at Easter, but this year not until mid-May, it starts getting healthy again. When I open the windows and the plant is blooming, the scent is glorious. It’s sweet and peppery at the same time.image

The blooms are small, only about two or three inches across. So that poses a dilemma of what to put the buds in. Earlier this year in England, I bought several salt & pepper shakers, but the salt had corroded the top of one of them. Viola! A perfect bud vase.

image

In my office, I keep a small Chinoiserie vase on my desk and when the gardenia’s blooming, I bring blossoms in every few days. image

I also have some small Wedgwood vases which work perfectly.image

Having fresh flowers around is very important to me, and I love to photograph them for my Instagram account in their various vases.

10 comments:

  1. I adore gardenias. And when I had my garden refreshed last November, the designer put one in a pot in my back yard. I thought it would never bloom, the buds just kept shriveling up. And then all of a sudden, about 4 days ago, 10 blooms all over the bush. So wonderful. The smell is other worldly. And when I saw the blooms, I thought of you, and how you always document yours:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This begs the question have you ever rooted cuttings from this plant? If not why not? Just think of all the Joy you can share. Granted you have rented in the past but cuttings taking root and left to grow in the ground for your former neighborhood. Talk about a legacy, building community and those little metal tags on plant s it is a good thing. "This gardenia is a gift to you fellow Baltmorian, enjoy and share the love." I suppose anyone could do that though, I planted Camilla and azaleas in a place I used to live I wonder if they are still alive-- indestructible plants are recommended. I rescued three gardenia plants from next door-- they had been dug up and tossed over the fence I could not believe it --- It now grows in my front yard and was filled with blooms and yes this plant is at least 20 years old now in the ground---- I even trimmed it and was shocked at the blooms it put forth -- some plants do respond to "hair cuts" --- that is the fun thing about gardening, we can experiment to find the right location for a plant with in the yard and Hello! the Book Thing has books to answer your questions dear reader about gardening--- wait the Book Thing; is still a happening thing ?? Meg, we need an update of your haunt The Book Thing THNX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couple of things:
      * I have given a lot of cuttings from this plant. They can be hard to root, so I usually give them after they've rooted.
      * Yes, I rented, but there wasn't tons of green-space to plant things, although one year, I did sunflowers all over the neighbourhood.
      * This plant will not withstand our winters. It can tolerate some cold, but not a freeze, so there's no point in planting it. We're at the very tip-top of having camellias survive.
      * Book Thing is scheduled to re-open later this summer.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's very impressive! From a cutting, and already from an ancient plant (at least ancient as compared to anything I've ever attempted to grow). Well done Meg! I purchased a kumquat tree earlier in the year and it has been sitting inside, by a window. I recently noticed a proliferation of dropped leaves so took it outside where it seems to be happier. It even has blossoms developing (hooray!). Perhaps there is hope for the little thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another one which lived in my old south-facing office, but it grew too big, and i left it outside for too long and it died. I watered my plant yesterday and saw a lot of ants leaving it. That worries me. A lot.

      Delete
  4. On the subject "hard to root cuttings" how does one judge "hard" -- one cutting did not take, several cuttings, i.e. attempts to root did not take, was it the time of year?? oh dear so many variables up your way. I guess living in FLA as I do, the heat and humidity= green house like conditions ---causes me to be so flip and judgmental on the subject of hard to root --- the forgetful gardener can be successful here, some benefit from "neglect" or the procrastination factor perhaps that has been my lot-- however my success with hydrangea pink or blue not so much. Do tell Meg do hydrangea do well up your way. PS my gardenia bloomed its heart out late FEB thru early MAY such is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to root in that many attempts die before they grow roots. About 20% success rate. I judge that as hard. And as I said, I have to move my gardenia in and out. It is in a 10 gallon bucket, which isn't the most elegant thing, but it does the job.

      Hydrangeas do pretty well here, but better closer to the coast.

      Delete
  5. They are like a perfect floral neutral and seem to suit every type of vase Meg x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.