February 25, 2016

Places to Go. People to See.

As I mentioned the other day, I postponed my trip to the UK for a few weeks, and am now replanning the whole thing. I will be in London for a few days, then going back to Wales, and then heading off on a drive-round, with no particular agenda, as of now, and then finally, ending up back in London. I have plans to meet up with family and friends along the way, but would love your suggestions of where to go and whom to see. Cirencester roofline

Two places I want to visit are Sheffield because of the history of silver-making, and Stoke-on-Trent because of their history making china and porcelain. That takes me up to the more northern part of the country. I basically have four full days to play with, and having lived in the UK, I am perfectly comfortable driving there (as long as the car is an automatic!).thatched barn

I am religiously checking the magazine Homes & Antiques’s website for their March list of antiques fairs and shows. That will give me some ideas of which direction I should point the car. Chruch bells

So, any ideas of great country homes, brilliant shops, fabulous antiquarians, etc. will be much appreciated. I am also partial to a good country church or two.

Thanks, in advance!

4 comments:

  1. Port Wenn well whatever real town that serves as Port Wenn for the PBS Doc martin series or whatever town it is that David Sedaris has moved to-- you may see him collecting rubbish along the by-ways or see the truck they named after him. Perhaps the towns are Cornwall and the Dover area. Bon Voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some suggestions from our own experience and our wish list:
    St. Giles in Cheadle (Pugin masterpiece)
    Whightwick Manor (Great for Victorian Arts and Crafts) http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wightwick-manor-and-gardens
    Bolsover Castle
    Hughendon Manor (Benjamin Disraeli's home)
    If you are driving...head to Henley-on-Thames, and then drive over to Hambleden, up to Skermett, and then just over to Turville. See the windmill from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
    In London...drop in at The Luggage Room for a drink and some snacks, just off Grosvenor Square.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I know you will have a wonderful trip. Funny that I thought of Doc Martin as well and those amazing cliffs from Broadchurch, though you have probably been to both areas.

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going anywhere near North Yorkshire?
    Have good friends in Pateley Bridge who would be fun for you to meet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.