July 23, 2015

Summer Supper

I bought a plant of “Sweet 100’s” cocktail tomatoes, but in reality, it’s only Sweet 4. That’s all the tomatoes that are on the plant. It’s kind of pitiful. I was planning to make some roasted cocktail tomato jam to have over the winter when I am craving the sunshiny taste of fresh real tomatoes. I guess I will have to take a jaunt to the local Farmers’ Market and pick up some. The recipe I’ve linked is one of the few without a ton of sugar – some have more than three cups! I just want the simplest possible – tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and a bit of sea salt. corn

I picked up some beautiful Maryland corn for supper this evening and it was delicious! I used a little bit of Kerrygold Butter with herbs and garlic, (which I accidentally bought after the dog who’s staying with me ate a half a stick of regular butter and I had to go get more) and a sprinkling of sea salt. It was perfection.

Do you know the easiest way to cook corn? Freakishly simple: Chuck a piece of corn into the microwave. Don’t peel it or shuck it or anything. Set the microwave for four minutes. Pull the corn out. Cut off the bottom about a half inch above where the husks meet the stalk. Squeeze the corn from the silk end and a perfect piece of corn, with NO silk, will pop out. Butter and salt it. Eat and enjoy.

Tell me about your favourite summer supper!

8 comments:

  1. I have those same blue and white plates in plastic! I use them for picnics at Wolf Trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. My Heritage Cherokee tomato plant has not produced any flowers or fruit, It did not have the cool evenings for the flowers to set fruit. I wonder if the rain caused other gardeners problems for their set fruit tomato plants? Anyway, a summer supper of Tabbouleh would be welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh thanks for the fresh corn tip. I love sea salt on anything this summer !!
    Have a great weekend Meg and stay cool!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Ceramic Artist Leah Bowring

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Karena + thank you for the corn tip + never heard that before. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love this corn cooking method -- I hate dealing with the silks. Your plates are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Photos of guest dog, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will totally try that cooking method. The corn looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, now we must have corn tonight! I usually cook it in the microwave but didn't know about putting the unshucked corn in! Now it will be so easy to avoid the silks. Thanks for that tip.
    I also have another question for you. You mentioned Kerrygold butter which I have tried, so earlier in the week I decided to try another imported type called Plugra - it is European and so delicious! It reminds me of the butter that my grandmother would get from Lexington Market back in the day. She called it "sweet butter". Have you ever tried the Plugra?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.