March 6, 2015

Snow Daze

The poor children in our area are completely out of snow days this school year, mainly due to some mis-guided closings. But this storm was forewarned, so we were fore-armed and knew that almost everything would be closed.

Several years ago, I was given a sweet stone bunny by my friends at Pennoyer-Newman, and I use it as my snow gauge. image

As the snow piles up, I take pictures and post them on the #SnowBunnyCam. IMG_8895IMG_8906IMG_8919IMG_8943

The tips of his ears are about 12 inches, so this looks like about eight inches of snow. Of course, Connor adores the snow and is just panting to get outside in it. It was snowing so hard today, I made him wear his coat. That way, only his head gets wet. IMG_8896IMG_8899

He walks in prescribed patterns around the back yard, and in some spots that don’t get a lot of sun, the snow from the past few storms is still pretty high. IMG_8908He loves sitting in the snow, and when he did this last year, someone suggested he might be numbing some pain, but I am pretty sure that’s not the case.

My chandelier is still hanging out back and is snow-covered now. It’s too wet to light the candles, but I am sure it would look like a scene from Dr. Zhivago!

IMG_8910IMG_8936

I made a little video today.

The day wasn’t just me watching Connor out back, I also baked bread (pre-made by the local kosher market and frozen),IMG_8894IMG_8903 and worked on my second cashmere quilt. IMG_8915

What did you do on this snow day? Or did you even have one?

21 comments:

  1. OOOhhhhh...cashmere quilt??!!! THAT sounds really yummy? Can you give a few more details, such as ...are you using actual cashmere fabric you purchased in squares or creating from old sweaters...or is it a kit...or.... It will be lovely I am sure and I'd love to create something so warm and cozy too! Good luck and thanks for any info you care to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on the cashmere blanket link for details on how i made it. there are some links in that post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at work most of the day.... life must go on although getting around was tricky! LOVE the colors in your new quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are just some of the colours. I am sort of doing it in blocks of blues, greens, yellows, etc. Hope it looks good.

      Delete
  4. So exciting to see Connor in action. He is beyond adorable. Great video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was hard to see that he was lying in the snow in the one scene.

      Delete
  5. Love your bunny snow gauge and Connor looks like he is having a great time in spite of the snow. Tomorrow we should see some warmup and hopefully melt the rest of the snow here in KC.
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. We walked our new-to-us 12-year-old dog on the nearly empty streets yesterday--it was beautiful and peaceful. Where did you get Connor's coat? It looks perfect for an old dog that can't step in and out of the coats I've seen at the chain stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came from Howl or one of the others. But here's a link. https://caninestyles.com/products-page-2/coats/

      Delete
  7. No snow days here!! Stay warm and dry and safe. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I just say thanks that I am not in Boston!

      Delete
  8. we don't have any snow here in S. CA + feel bad for those that do. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sunny and going to be almost 80F today. I just returned from picking some kumquats. Birds are singing and the air is fragrant with citrus blossoms... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at Connor, the stylish snow bunny!

    Here in Denver we had a warm, sunny day after two weeks of cold and snow. I attended my first buffalo auction this morning and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My white lab sleeps on 100 degree flagstone patio all summer and hours wondering around the back yard in the snow. I took video of him today searching for something in the 6 inches of snow, he looks like a mini snow plow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your snow bunny is a favorite of mine:). At first I thought it was a real animal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your snow bunny! And Connor, of course! My recent snow days (too many to really be cozy any more, I'm done with this crap) - were spent binge-watching "Revenge" on Netflix. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg
    Always loved those baltimore snow days! Thanks for posting.

    I was chatting to an old architect pal here in London (Robert AdamS) about the Catholic Cathedral - St Mary Our Queen on North Charles Street....

    and tried to get a name for the cathedral's architects - alas to no avail... but then thought, hmmm, who would know? Meg surely! Can you assist?

    Regards from London
    RA

    ps
    Westminster Abbey received the necessary planning permission for the new triforium tower...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.