July 7, 2014

I’ll Take This: House in Scotland!

I love looking through the UK real estate pages, and love looking at the difference between interiors in the UK and in the US. There are quite different styles reflected in these homes, although I’d be hard pressed to put to words what they are.

I found this great manor house, re-built in 1906 after a fire, in Argyll on the Kintyre.glencraggan

Although it was designed by a Scottish architect, imagethere are French influences from the owner’s wife. image

I spot the requisite tartan throw!image

However, the most spectacular thing about this property is its situation on the western part of Kintyre, imagelooking out over the Irish Sea towards Ireland,image and to the Scottish islands. image

Its gardens are more practical imagethan beautiful, imagealthough there is a certain rough beauty to the land.image

For more information, click here.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely place. Hope the "giant curtain" (I'm sure there's a technical decorating term for it) near the stairs is there for a purpose, such as drafts. Just strikes me as looking a bit odd. Thanks for posting these otherwise lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they are called portieres. Usually found in Old houses without central heating. You are exactly right on the purpose.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the portieres - odd to an American eye. The house isn't shown to great advantage in these pictures, but could be lovely. And that setting! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like an amazing house -i'd take it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great home on a stunning property! It is always interesting to me when I see so much furniture lined up against the walls rather in grouping (in some of these homes)

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning location + of course I would love the portiere. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I could live there but I would do the interior different. I would keep the portieres but do them in a different fabric - a solid saturated good velvet in a youthful Miles Redd color??? - I don't like the pale green here. Oh, to dream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.