December 19, 2011

Wedgwood Museum Sale?

I read today that the Wedgwood Museum might have to sell off parts of its collections to pay for pensions of Wedgwood employees as part of a bankruptcy ruling. I wrote about the bankruptcy here.Gallery-Wedgwood-Waterfor-001Although the Museum has not been part of the pottery for more than 50 years, the Museum’s employees were part of the Wedgwood Group’s pension plan. A judge in the UK has ruled that the Museum’s collection is part of Wedgwood’s assets and can be sold.

In addition to the priceless collection of early Wedgwood items, portland_vase2 the Museum also owns paintings by George Stubbs, George Romney and Joshua Reynolds, well-known English painters.

11 comments:

  1. I'm kind of on the fence about Wedgwood. Photo of the ceiling (?) is gorgeous but a lot of their pottery feels and looks very unattractive to my eyes. Perhaps that's because my mother had the ugliest piece of Wedgwood known to man when I was growing up and I had to stare at it every morning at breakfast.

    On the other hand, if anyone wishes to unload some of his or her Chinese Tigers pattern dinnerware by Wedgwood, I'm here with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow that doesn't seem right...

    Stunning ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having heart palpitations over this! It is a sad way for the collection to be broken up, on one hand, but I want some!! ;)
    My great-grand mother was British and had an enormous collection of early 20th century Wedgewood and a few older "Basalt" pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad. Dis we cry when the last manual typewriter was assembled? Did we cry and get depressed when Thermos lost their trademark? MS teamed up with Wedgewood to no doubt acquire in kind pieces of their collection. Any partnering is a Business deal to benefit the bigger name. sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is very sad! Any time art disappears from public view and goes to a private collection, it's a very sad thing!

    Lovely images, at least we'll have those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a travesty. The British government should buy the collection. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! is all I can say. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo. Please keep us advised.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can we continue to dump history on the curb.....for the highest bidders......... with no guarantee of preservation or availability to the public?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.