December 12, 2011

My Auction Accident

I zipped out at lunch to attend part of the second day of the Alex Cooper Auction. A few of the things that I had really wanted went for way more than I wanted to spend. Ladew GardensThere was a rug that I had seen, but since I’d just bought a faux oriental rug for the mudroom (I wanted a busy but classic pattern to disguise the muddy paw prints), I didn’t seriously consider it.Auction_7346When the rug came up, the auctioneer offered it at a dirt cheap starting bid, which no one accepted. Then he dropped it to what my friend David calls “insultingly low” and in an instant I thought it would be perfect for my bedroom, and flashed my paddle. The auctioneer raised the bid, but no one bit, so I got the rug. Auction_7343Of course, I had a rather startled look on my face, and the auctioneer laughed!

One of the issues with the brown needlepoint rug that is in my room now is that Connor loves to lie on it, so naturally, it’s covered in a scrim of white hair, which won’t show up as much on this rug. Auction_7350It’s a beautiful chain-stitch rug, with a central pattern and lots of colours which I like. Auction_7349And it was the perfect price… Insultingly low!

15 comments:

  1. It looks like a pretty rug! May you be in the audience the next time I ask for an insultingly low bid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you. Can you be my lucky mascot next timeI want to bid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely needlepoint rug, and such a perfect perch for your darling pooch. Interesting, how we choose our textiles with our dogs in mind. Having a projectile-shedding pug, as I do, there are certain fabrics and colors that I no longer consider, recognizing that his fur will be the victor if it comes to that... Thank goodness for lint rollers, is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect rug for Connor!!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reggie, when are you going to treat us to a photo of Christmas Pompey? I eagerly await.

    The rug is lovely and good to know it's gotten the Connor seal of approval.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg, That is a great rug--if Connor could stand to part with it, you could even use it as a table topper or Christmas tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg,
    It was your lucky day, so pretty and Connor does look reaaly good on it!

    It's like tumbleweed alley around here. The daily vacuuming is making me nuts. The main rug in our family room is a dark color reproduction...mistake or at least this time of year :) And, when my pooch isn't shedding? She's using the wall panelling as a back/side scratcher!!!
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- congratulations! Isn't that always the way it works, though? You get the best deals when you are open-minded and seize an opportunity, not when you're goal-oriented with your shopping. I don't find the perfect chair at the perfect price when I go shopping for a certain chair, I find gorgeous clearance chairs for my bedroom at an amazing price when I'm supposed to be shopping for accessories for my client's living room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMB!!! I LOVE THAT RUG!!!!! You are so incredibly lucky!!! thank you for sharing....and I am tickled that Connor loves the rug as well....must keep his undercarriage warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connor doggie adores your new rug(great)so cute + love the way boxwood looks + smells

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this needlepoint rug!! You love it and most importantly Connor really loves it!

    Isn't it exciting to get a great buy!

    Come to enter the latest in The 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways from Design du Monde! It is a Framed Antique Architectural Print!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now thats a great story! I'm tempted to be crass and ask what insultingly low is but I'll refrain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just love it when your fuzzy friends know a present is just for them? My cats never fail to immediately adopt things I bought for them... how do they know, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! And I wonder if you saw my husband and MIL! Cooper came home last night with a very cool surprise for me - a box full of nautical flags (not a complete set, but close). He said he was close to a German wassail set, but the auctioneer missed his bid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.