December 20, 2011

Happy Hanukkah

Tonight’s the first night of Hanukkah, Chanukah and Hanakuh or חֲנֻכָּה‎. It is also the day when I get to listen to one of my favourite renditions of the classic song, Dreidel, Dreidel.  Of course, at this point, my mother, a staunch Roman Catholic, is thinking “huh? how does she know this?” For a few years, I worked in an office where all of the other women were Jewish. I picked up a lot of Yiddish and learned a lot of Jewish traditions and customs. And when I lived in Wales, there was nothing funnier that listening to “my” two little guys saying in their Welsh accents, “I’ve got to schlepp my books upstairs”.

So, in honour of the first night of Hanukkah, may I present Erran Baron-Cohen, brother of Sasha Baron-Cohen, singing The Dreidel Song.

Oy! Now go and do a mitzvah for someone!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. With all of the mishigas of getting ready for Christmas, it is too easy for me to overlook how special and fun Channukah is. My husband is Catholic and I am Jewish so I easily get swept away in the tide of Christmas preparation.

    This is a great video and I intend to share it with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Great...sent it on to a client who is a Rabbi! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, Totally off the subject... I cannot find a listing for A Festival of Nine Lesons and Carols on the Public Radio schedule for Christmas Eve.. I tried to email you - was unable. Do you have any information?
    Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video! So appropriate for this first night of Channukah.
    Happy Holidays to you and Conner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.