August 3, 2011

More Literary Homes for Sale

A few weeks ago, I wrote about J.K. Rowlings’ childhood home being for sale. Well, that has sold already, but there are two more literary homes on offer.

Daphne DuMaurier’s cottage in Cornwall, with the amazing name of Readymoney, is on the market. This is the house where she lived after she wrote  Rebecca and Frenchman’s Creek. The cottage was originally built as a coach house and stables for the nearby waterfront Italianate mansion, Point Neptune.PD*29964994From there, duMaurier moved to Menabilly, a grander house she had known for years and which is reputedly one of the inspirations for Manderley, the atmospheric but doom-laden house and estate in Rebecca.menabilly

The home where Charles Dickens summered for more than 22 years is also on the market. Originally named Fort House, after he stopped going there the house was re-named as Bleak House, after his famous story. bleak house This house is where he completed David Copperfield, and it was where the idea of Bleak House came to him.  bleakhouse2 The residence is located at the top of a cliff with stunning views of the English Channel, where Dickens could watch the maritime trade passing by.bleakhouse3 Both houses are for sale in the vicinity of £2 million.

{Sorry for my absence the past day or two. I’ve been struggling with a bout of vertigo, but seem to be feeling much better now, thanks!}

14 comments:

  1. Meg I hope you are feeling better. This post is a readers dream. I would love to stay at any of these amazing homes, it would like being taken to another world and time.

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be a vertigo epidemic.
    I've had it for about a week!!!
    Thank you for posting about all the wonderful houses. The du Maurier cottage(?) is my favorite. I could be very comfortable there re-reading her books. Happy rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, Meg! That malady is SO debilitating, too. Hope it passes completely very soon! Enjoyed this post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling good as new soon. Thanks for the lovely posts on older homes. I really enjoy looking at them.
    ~Monique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vertigo- yikes! Glad to hear you're feeling better.
    Rebecca is my favorite book of all time - so intersting to see the house she wrote it in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg, I hope that you are feeling better and that Connor is playing nurse/companion. Stay cool and calm. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take either one.

    So sorry you've been woozy. Nothing worse. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Egads - I adore Daphne DuMaurier. And her houses.

    Vertigo: The world is spinning faster and faster, or so it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all,

    Literary heritage is big business. Some buyers are mainly concerned with price and finish, but a cultural connection can certainly make it easier to market a property. Thanks for sharing this type of nice information......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not believe I had missed a du Maurier house, having visited Fowey expressly to "walk in her footsteps" but I did not know of the "Readymoney" house. It forced me back to her pictorial memoir, DU MAURIER'S CORNWALL to see if she mentioned it and I had missed it. She writes extensively of Ferryside, her family home in Bodinnick, and of course, of Menabilly which she found in ruins and lived in for 26 years and of Kilmarth, the home where she spent her final years, but the only mention of another house is in 1943, when she says, "changes of plans sent me to Cornwall with my three children..." and after a visit to explore the ruined Menabilly, she "returned to my furnished cottage," and began exploring the possibility of renting Menabilly. So interesting to know of another du Maurier home. Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vertigo? I hope you are feeling better. I was diagnosed with MS and seem to get worse symptoms when the weather is extreme. You should see a neurologist if it keeps up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a great fan of Du Maurier. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear you are under the weather - I had vertigo last year - not fun. Get better soon.
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    This is really a big house for sale consisting large numbers of rooms with excellent interiors. Residing in this house for everybody can be like their dream come true. Some buyers are mainly concerned with price and finish, but a cultural connection can certainly make it easier to market a property. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Randomly browsing the good blogs, I went to yours. Truly speaking,I’m sure I’d visit here more often.Great job, keep posting interesting articles here. All The Best.


    Affordable homes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.