October 14, 2010

Warhol at the BMA!

My friend Stiles is the chairman of the Board at the Baltimore Museum of Art, one of the most well-respected museums on the East Coast. Their Cone Collection of modern French Art is unparalleled anywhere in the world.ArtBMABeginning on October 17th, a retrospective of Andy Warhol’s last decade of work will be opening at the BMA and it looks like it will be MAJOR!   Andy-Warhol-Jackie-1964-181013As the catalogue says,

Highlights include psychologically revealing fright wig self-portraits, three variations on Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper, and collaborations with younger artists such as Jean-Michel Basquiat that reveal the dramatic transformation of Warhol’s artistic style. He introduces new techniques, reengages in the physical act of art making, and explores painting in a culture awash with commercial and photographic imagery. Through these works, several not exhibited until after the artist's death, Warhol continually asks viewers to contemplate celebrity (including his own), glamour, and death in the contemporary era.

Andy Warhol: The Last Decade is a special ticketed exhibition, with a complimentary audio tour included with your ticket. Tickets go on sale September 15, 2010.  warhol1 General admission to the BMA's collection is free to everyone—every day!

11 comments:

  1. Meg so many exciting exhibits opening. I just came over from Katiedid!

    I have a Luxurious New Giveaway on my site....Come and enter!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um.... would that last picture be one of the "fright wig" shots?

    Just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I were passing through Baltimore.....xv

    ReplyDelete
  4. might have to head up to Baltimore!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Random fact, his mom and my grandmother were sisters...I will have to put this on the list to go check out with our family, we love seeing how people present his work! Thanks for the tip! *Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg if you like Warhol you should trek over here to Pittsburgh where the Andy Warhol musuem is located! Love the BMA - try to walk through every time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a great Warhol retrospective at the Tate Modern in 2002 - one of my favorite exhibits ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for free museums! They all should be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading a review of his work, Andy Warhol is reported to have remarked, "I read an article on me once that described my machine-method of silk-screen copying and painting: 'What a bold and audacious solution, what depths of the man are revealed in this solution!' What does that mean?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am longing for a crabcake from Gertrude's at the BMA! And a return visit to the many Matisse paintings the sisters were kind enough to collect!

    Suzanne on St. Simons

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne... I agree 100%! I had the most fun lunch there this spring with some brand new friends. It was a brilliant place to meet, sit, sip and eat. And to be surrounded by such beatutiful art made it all the better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.