October 16, 2010

My Bartender’s Secret

When I was on The Nate Berkus show earlier this week, I mentioned cleaning my copper with “my bartender’s secret” and I have gotten a number of questions about it. PopUp 014It’s not really a secret, it’s a friend -- Bar Keeper’s Friend, a great way to clean copper pots, pans and more. I like this because it seems to keep copper cleaner for longer than other products. Not only does BKF clean the tarnish off the copper, it also gets sudsy and makes a sheeting action, so that the copper doesn’t spot as easily.Copper 001Before I moved to Wales, I had more than 100 pieces of kitchen copper, and I used this on all of them. You can find this in some grocery stores in the cleaning section (look at the bottom shelves) or in old-style hardware stores.

As we move into fall, there’s nothing prettier on the table than some copper pieces.

16 comments:

  1. World Market always seems to have it, too. They usually stock the liquid, which I like better than the powder (it's a lot like Soft Soap).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so remember Bar Keeper Friend. Oh to have had 100 pieces of copper had to have been a magnificent collection? Thanks for the reminder about BKF. Hope you'll have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ found you from Karena's blog; I have never seen BKF, I use simichrome I think, but now I will try this; lovin' vintage copper! thank you for the post....

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I love BKF...good in the bathroom too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg,

    I will have to get some BKF I bet our Ranchmart Hardware carries it. They have Everything!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bed, Bath and Beyond carries it - and use one of their coupons - despite the dates on them - they never expire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bar Keepers friend is the best stuff on the market. I actually use it to clean my kitchen sink as well as pans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reggie is a great fan of BKF. Like Miss Wendy, Reggie uses it to keep his stainless steel kitchen sink shining clean. It is also a wonder at taking baked on food stains off of his stainless steel stove top. His only complaint is that BKF is difficult to find in the supermarkets he frequents. He does not recommend the liquid version in a squeeze bottle, only the dry version in the canister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three cheers for Bar Keeper's Friend. Nothing, and I mean nothing, cleans an ancient claw foot bathtub as well or with as little effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm lucky - they carry BFK at the little grocery store in my neighborhood. It's an amazing cleaner. I use it on my stainless All Clad pots. - Wendy

    (the copper stock pot looks BEAUTIFUL - I never would have thought of using BKF on copper!)

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of BKF, but for copper pots, vinegar and salt works wonders in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of BKF--I bet it work on brass, too. I used to have a large, now smaller, collection of antique brass candlesticks...now, maybe, I'll start collecting them again. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your thoughts look interresting after all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My latest order from Calphalon included a sample packet of BKF. I does do wonders keeping the pots and pans clean, even the non-copper ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.