January 1, 2010

A Winter Walk in the Woods

I took the dogs for a walk in the woods today, and it was brisk and cold. We walk on a trail that wanders along some railroad tracks and follows an old falls, over which soars the oldest stone railroad bridge in the country. It was built in 1829 and still stands. viaduct 014  As I was walking, the words of Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken” kept running through my mind. We kept coming to forks in the road, and we followed the ones with fewer footsteps in the snow. 1-01 017This trail is our newest place to walk. It’s right in the middle of the city, yet you feel a million miles away from everything.  1-01 019After almost 200 years, these tracks are still in use.

1-01 025

“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

Happy 2010!

16 comments:

  1. I love this poem by Frost! If we would all do this in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favorite poems! What a beautiful thing to think about when on a snowy walk. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took my sis's dogs 4 a walk today, 2 big labs!
    She went out of town for the New Year.
    Hope yours was fun too!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, what a beautiful post. If we all took the road less traveled how interesting it all could be. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the road less travelled is always the best...
    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the "road less travelled" makes all the difference to you in 2010! It looks mighty cool in them there parts...less so here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. simply gorgeous!

    happy new year, meg!

    wishing you and connor much happiness in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo of the bridge. They just don't build things like that anymore. I'm thankful we can capture photos for prosperity. You did an excellent job of matching the poetry to the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where is this? I am always looking for new trails and places in the city to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
    And you et an account on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Happy New Year Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.