January 5, 2010

What’s This?

As I was poking around in my favourite junque shoppe today, I found an interesting piece of blue willow china, which I have been collecting since I moved back to the States. I love the classic combination of that with my beautiful Royal Copenhagen white pieces. 

Anyway… I spotted this piece, but had absolutely no idea what it was. It didn’t have any markings on the bottom, so I couldn’t tell its age, but it looks older than newer, just because of the way the transfer pattern appears.01-05 001

It stands about seven inches across and about three inches tall. It’s got a center section that’s open, with three raised rests. In the middle of the base of the piece is a “cup” for lack of a better word that looks like it would fit a votive candle. The top of the piece extends over the side, and there are three evenly spaced holes around the side of the piece.01-05 005

Because the holes are glazed, it seems like they were there when the piece was fired. Their edges are smooth, so that’s another clue that they’re original.01-05 007

I can’t figure out if there was a lid to the piece, but given the pattern, I am inclined to think that there was. In the picture below, it looks like the three raised sections are indented and it almost looks like it could be an ashtray.01-05 002

Okay, readers! Any ideas as to what this piece is? I am clueless and open to all suggestions!

16 comments:

  1. Meg, I haven't seen anything like this, maybe Soodie knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with the chafing dish idea, and a dish that would have fitted over the burner piece. Perhaps it is relatively new on that basis, as the burning mechanism would have to be a votif candle, and they must only be 30 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely piece, but no ideas......
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I think it's a warmer. Put a tealight in the bottom, put a dish of some type on top. The little holes would let the heat out and let oxygen in. The ridges on top would hold the upper piece up for the same reason. However, I'm curious as any candle would leave flame soot on the bottom of the upper piece - so maybe the upper piece was metal? Perhaps a potpourri warmer? I agree that it must be fairly modern given the tealight/votive concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fairly sure that it is a teapot warmer. I have a similar piece that goes with my Arzberg teapot. A small candle ( smaller than a votive) is meant to go in the center and the teapot rests on the top. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caron... now that you and Annie mention what it might be, I think that's probably it.

    i think that votive candles are pretty old. they're the old devotional candles that you paid a little money to light to pray for your devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea that it's a teapot warmer! It's lovely regardless of its original purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very definitely a teapot warmer. We had similar ones growing up. The vent holes on the sides are a giveaway, as is the pattern of ridges on the top edge. The ones we had didn't have quite as deep a candle well, but this one sure looks like it would accommodate a tealight (short white candle in a metal cup).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks Dutch and perhaps was used to force bulbs or yes, it could be a tea pot warmer.
    Pretty, hope you show us what you do with it!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  10. PVE... I thought it was something like that, too! Especially with all of the narcissus bulbs I am forcing right now.

    But I am agreeing that it's a teapot warmer. Pretty inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a similar design in Polish Pottery, though it's to keep a teapot warm. A small candle goes into the bottom. Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vote for the warmer idea - it is really neat, whatever it is. Post when you decide what to do with it. Love old Blue Willow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meg. Anonymous here fom the Jackie O posting and I've commented before. You have a warmer to a small ceramic casserole with lid. A small tea candle was placed in the center to keep the contents warm. I had one just like yours and most likely still have the warmer base. The dish has long since been trashed as there was no way to regulate the flame and the ceramic dish cracked after molten cheese potatoes crisped up inside. Still loving your blog. I'll send you my addy if your seious about the Jackie O books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was a fancy ash tray. You'd put cigarette's in the center and then ash in the opening loop. The holes in the side would let out smoke in the event of a little fire.

    Kinda like the pretty retainer holder you were selling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.