October 30, 2009

A Ghostly Tale

It was about this time of year, maybe a little later. I was driving with a friend from the horse races at Chepstow in the Welsh Borders, back to our house in Cardiff. We decided to take a detour to look at White Castle which dates to the13th century, although there is evidence of a fortification there before that time.WhiteCastle4It was just before sunset, so we were the only people there. We parked and walked through the outer ward, through a 13th century gate and headed toward the bridge over the wet moat. From there, we would enter the inner ring of the fortifications through the inner gatehouse.  WhiteCastle2As I broke the plane of the gatehouse, it felt like I was walking through a curtain. I felt a bite of chilly air and had a flash of the scene before me: lots of people milling around, cooking fires, activity and light and some noise. Then it was gone. WhiteCastle3We walked around the inner ward until it got too dark, and then we headed home. I didn’t say anything about what had happened to my friend, thinking that he’d say I was nuts.

A few weeks later, I was back in the States and sending my Christmas letter to friends around the world. I mentioned what had happened at White Castle in one sentence. white castleSeveral days later, I got a call from my friend back in Wales. He was shocked! He had had the exact same experience as I had but didn’t mention it to me for the same reason I gave.

Do you believe in ghosts and other-worldly experiences like this?

13 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience in London, at several spots of historical interest. Truly felt I had lived there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats so cool -i always wish stuff like that would happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about this same type of thing happening to tourists at Versailles. Sound like you made a connection for a few seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe in ghosts or entities or other-worldly energy, whatever you want to call it. But I've never had such an experience. Much as I'd like to, it would probably scare me half to death and I wouldn't be able to keep it to myself the way you did.
    Thanks for the spooky story! (and the beautiful images to go with)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex who is the most calm collected person says that during the restoration of his 1800s manor house, nightly he was visited by a man dressed in century old clothing. He did nothing except stand there as my ex cowered in his bed. Turning on the light would immediately make him vanish. As soon as the restoration ended, so did the visits. I would never believe this story from anyone else but this man has little imagination for abnormal things. Who knows? I, too think it would be amazing to have your kind of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I mentioned the story of Petit Trianon and the academicians- Anne Moberly and Eleanor Jourdain experience to AD just recently. I talked to a photographer of old houses-no ghost chaser He-who was telling me of just 1 experience overnight while camping at the house, never had thought of anything in that realm- until (as he says-You experience it. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this sort of thing! Great time to share this story...

    ReplyDelete
  8. never. the castle is eerily beautiful I must say.

    are you going to see that movie about ghosts that people say is so scary?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun story (and great telling). RE: the comment above about a house being restored and an ensuing appearance, I heard the same thing from one of the historians at Oak Alley plantation in Louisiana. Every time they've done major restoration on the house, they've had "encounters" - but not at any other times. They decided that disturbing the structure and the weird happenings were related somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I believe? Only because of personal experiences.

    Must be my Louisiana heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like something back in the Medieval England.I am waiting for knights to come across the bridge.That proves that Maryland has culture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.