May 26, 2009

Country Life Magazine

I was leafing through some old issues of Country Life magazine and found some great images to share. If you don't know Country Life, it's a weekly houses and horses magazine out of the UK which mostly features country estates for sale, as well some columns on country life, and the weekly picture of "girls in pearls" (debutants). One of the great things about Country Life is their access to many stately homes. Their writers do an in-depth job of researching the houses, and their photographers have a great eye for detail.
These next few images are from a house called Chicheley Hall in Buckinghamshire. The house has just been sold to the Royal Society of London for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge for £6.5 million, less than its original £9 million asking price.

Detail from a drawing room Entrance hallway, raised from its original single height Column detail Another issue of Country Life featured the Rococo house, Claydon House, also in Buckinghamshire. The house was owned by Florence Nightingale's brother-in-law, but is now owned by the National Trust. This is the alcove in the Chinese Room, carved by Luke Lightfoot in 1760. Another thing I like about CL is the amazing advertisements, aside from the first 100 pages of real estate pictures, they carry. These incredible chairs, a set of four from the 1940's, made of French steel, brass and copper, were being sold by Mallett Antiques, which I wrote about here. This zink Gothic wall lantern/sconce which would look perfect outside of my front door. It's from Charles Edwards on King's Road in London.
But my favourite thing about CL is the little comic strip that appears on the last page. It's called "Tottering By Gently" and the main character reminds me so much of Lady Pen, who used to work with me in Wales, that it makes me ache for missing that place. Click on the picture to see more of Annie Tempest's Tottering By cartoons.

13 comments:

  1. One of my favorite antiques dealers here, Suzanne Cooper, began showing me the Tempest cartoons years ago. So delightful. As are those houses. Sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love to read CL but I was always so derailed by the "girls in pearls" that I never got much farther into any particular issue!

    ML
    mlanesepic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that lantern, but that mural and the entry hall - to die for, seriously to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M. Lane and Mrs. Blandings... I adore these cartoons, and am so pleased to know that I can now find them on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joni... isn't that hall incredible? i was just blown away by it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The drawing room is amazingly beautiful, limpid even, the painting and the colours of the room like vapour. Country Life: The gift that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg-The Chinese Room is incredible. Thanks for the head's up on it. I look forward to meeting you at our next bloggers meeting too if we can drag you down to DC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The classical details in those three pics are incredible. Especially love the column detail and that beautiful room with the high ceilings! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Country Life...it looks like a great publication! I especially love the column detail pic!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, indeed we should all be so lucky to be tottering by gently living the Country Life. Annie has such a witty way. I have always loved Daffy and Dicky chasing one about an old drafty stately home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's IT. I am definitely visiting Claydon House this summer to see that Chinoiserie confection. Thanks for this. I had seen the doorway but not the rest of it.
    that yellow sofa oh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose... Please send us a full report if you see Claydon. It looks like Chicheley is closed for now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. You luck. All those magazines. I have been looking for 2 from 1910 and one from 1926. If you have them and can part with them let me know!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.