May 11, 2009

An Acquired Taste

I skidded into the Book Thing on Sunday, a scant seven minutes before they closed for the day, but managed to find more books/magazines than on some days when I have all of the time in the world.

As usual, I zipped to the decorating/design section and instantly spotted Dorothy Rodgers' "My Favourite Things, A Personal Guide to Decorating and Entertaining", an exhaustive volume of her favourite things, including some incredible recipes that reflect the time when the book was written. The Peak of Chic reviewed the book here. I have someone in mind to send this book to, but if he doesn't want it, I will give it to one of you, as I have a copy already.

The other book I found is called "An Acquired Taste, American Houses, Rooms and Gardens (Explained in a Rapid Primer)" by Mary Knowles Pierce. The chapter headings are unusual, beginning with How to Use This Book -- And Why, and continuing through with explanations of the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century architecture and furnishings and illustrations to help the reader understand her points. There's an almost 30 page glossary of design/decorating terms and a bibliography of suggested reading matters.What I found funny was the fact that she offers suggestions for collections and hobbies, as if one could not figure this out for ones self! Things to collect include blue-and-white pottery, swords, guns or pistols, rare books on architecture, interiors or gardening,and framed samples of antique fabrics and wall-coverings.

As for things to make your hobby, she suggests dressing costume dolls and making lamps from odd, discarded old utensils.
I think that in between the strange suggestions, there will be some nuggets of interest!

9 comments:

  1. Meg - I just picked up The House in My Head - and it is charming but so amusing as she details the plans for the room for all the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I knew I was remiss in my collecting. Guns and pistols. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bialetti table lamps. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you write so advanced in the article, I am very happy to visit your blog and learn more after you read any posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Those lamps are a riot! I could see them at a little kitchen desk in a very contemporary house though.....I always do that....think about where something might "work". Looks like a great book.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you - what fantastic luck!
    I just found "The House In My Head" as well, but it's packed away at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe my eyes. When I was a teen, I had a copy of Dorothy Rodgers "My Favorite Things." Later, my first child "decorated" it with ballpoint pen (she is now a published author.) I have no idea where or how I came to part with that book. Thanks for sharing and bringing back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. too cute.
    i use an espresso stove top pot everyday.
    clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of those things are lovely to collect but hmm..the soul is lost a bit there. And giving advice for hobbies -- hysterical.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.