November 3, 2008

Shadows of the Past

The house where I live is about 120 years old. It was probably built as a place to house a worker on the B&O Railroad Yard, which is a few blocks away. In the US, my house is considered extremely old. But in the UK, it would be relatively young! I love being able to see glimpses of the past as I walk the streets and lanes in London, and watching people going about their everyday life, just as Londoners have done for generations.
In the neighbourhood where I stayed, there was a produce market almost every day. The locals would get fresh fruit and vegetables on their way home from work. It's a great way to live. I noticed a barrow standing on the street and did a little photoshop magic with it - just deleting the colour to make it a sepia-tone (which my designer assures me is the mark of an amateur). These barrows would be wheeled out and lined up along the street and the produce would be loaded on them.
In London, the shadows of the past are all around. Look for them in everyday moments.

11 comments:

  1. Pshaw to your designer. Those photos are fabulous! And isn't that the truth about London? It's one of the things I love best. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think that picture is awesome. Who's your crazy designer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is only 50 years old but has all the documentation. I have the magazine article with the house plan, the developer's promo for the new neighborhood, the landscape architect's plan and bill.

    In the U.S. even 50 years is old! The day they start building a house it begins to acquire history. What is different here is that we ditch all the documents. So save those photos, bills, whatever and pass along your house's history to the next owner. I think it will make them more appreciative and more of a caretaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the pix in sepia. i want to go to london so bad and enjoy it as an adult...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos! AND your new banner. What is the photo of?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo is from the incredible Petersham Nurseries. I am planning on doing a post about them this evening as I watch the election returns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. Wis... I stayed with friends in The Netherlands and their house, built in the 1400's, had a "family tree" of everyone who had lived there. Everyone had signed a wall. It was amazing. But things like that were also why the Dutch suffered so badly during WWII. They kept great records.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful header, I let out a "wow!" when it popped up on my screen. As far as the photos go, I say, keep up the experimenting, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And another great new header!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like what you said ... look around for everyday moments... that is my thought for the day- thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.