September 21, 2008

The Secret Life of Flowers

As you may have noticed, I've been taking lots of pictures of flowers lately, partially influenced by my new camera, and partially by Irving Penn's book of Flowers, which I found at Book Thing. Since we go to the Farmers Market every Sunday morning, that gives me plenty of flowers to shoot.
This afternoon, I was visiting my mother, and her neighbour is an amazing gardener. She's got a vast array of unusual flowers, and it's always fun to see what stage of bloom they're in.
I am so intrigued with the secret inner life of some of these flowers. When you look at them in a brief glance, you see the petals and leaves, but when you look more closely patterns emerge, and you see that there are many levels and layers that comprise the actual flower.

Here are some images from today:
WOW! What am I going to do when winter comes?

10 comments:

  1. Love those sunflowers!

    I was going to e-mail you but since I'm here...the latest issue of W (Anne Hathaway is on the cover) has an article on Carlton and Nicholas Varney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A... thanks for the heads up. I will make a point of finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love the upside down pink ones...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice crystals and snow flakes are in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visit a flower shop or botanic garden or greenhouse for winter shots. Nothing like a misty orchid greenhouse in February.

    Last winter we did some frost shots that were a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that name 'The Secret Life of Flowers'. I can now imagine a whole world existing just inside one little bloom.

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice shots! . . . in winter you will get great shots of icicles :)

    anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.