September 2, 2008

House for a Euro

I was listening to the BBC this evening, and heard a great story about houses available on Sicily for €1.00!! Of course, there's a catch - you've got to renovate it! The houses are in the village of Salemi and were abandoned after an earthquake in the 1960's.

The mayor of the village is looking for buyers who have "“both the aesthetic sensitivity and the economic resources" to restore and live in these houses. Buyers need to use local architects, builders, electricians and plumbers to help stimulate the economy, but the local authorities will help you navigate the morass of regulations. Renovating one of these houses is also a great way to be green!


For more information, you can visit the Mayor's website here, and click on contatti.

9 comments:

  1. And you have to put up with the italian work ethic -you would have a house (albeit a beautiful one in Italy) in about 20 years LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been reading Frances Mayes describing a visit to Palermo and the surrounding coutryside. She talks about what a strong influence the Mafia still is and the pall it throws over everything. I think that would give me pause if I were thinking of doing something like this.

    However, that's certainly a picturesque village, and good for the mayor if he's successful in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know this, but that's how much of downtown Baltimore's residential core was reenergized in the '70s and '80s - dollar houses. All of Otterbein was sold for $1/house to anyone who would agree to renovate within a fixed period of time. Really cool model.

    p.s. I'm a lifelong Baltimorean in (happy) exile in Portland, OR now, and love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great!! Hmm..if my husband and I could find jobs in Italy I would totally be game!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming looking village! Not really sure if I'd want to live somewhere that got abandoned because of an earthquake though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a challenge that would be! Even tougher than renovating in Tuscany, but it would make for a neat story/documentary. I am adding you to my blogroll if that's OK?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great!!! Incredible!!!
    I'd love to visit this place one day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.