May 31, 2007

Gardenias & Number 100

My family has had a gardenia plant (bush) for about 40 years now, and my siblings and I have taking cuttings from it and propogated them into full-size plants. The original plant had grown so large that my brothers-in-law were recruited to move it outside at Easter and inside at the October birthday celebrations. Unfortunately, my parents' plant got a black fungus and has been dying off a hunk at a time for about a year.

When I moved to Wales, I entrusted my plant to my sister, M, who's not a big gardener. Luckily, it thrived and although it's a little leggy, it looks good. Last night a friend came for drinks and we sat outside. The scent of the gardenia flowers filled the night air. I have about six or seven flowers with more to come. I wish you could smell their peppery sweet scent.

This is my 100th post on Pigtown*Design. Thank you to all who've been reading since I started in January and thanks for your nice comments, for your links to my blog, for your tips and suggestions and for your friendship over the ether. It's been lots of fun. Now on towards 200!

6 comments:

  1. Oh how did you know gardenias are one of my favorite flowers!!!I so love the smell.Your post wants to make me run out and buy one!Thank you!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE gardenias! My peonies were late bloomers this year and I just clipped some yesterday and they are smelling lovely!

    Congrats on your 100th post! Your blog is a breath of fresh air :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, and I've loved all of your posts. Can't wait for the next 100! And, I too love Gardenias- my very favorite flower and scent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I remember my 100th post. Since it coincided with the end of the year, I simply turned it into a "best of 2006" post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a big gardenia that my husband bought me a few years back. The smell: paradise!

    Pls, pls would you teach me how to propogate it? I have looked on line and found nothing. What do I need to do? Could you send me a quick email? I would be so grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your 100th post,,,,what a milestone!! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.